July 22, 2019
In this episode, Jamie (the founder of Grounded Sage) and Karla (brand & marketing manager for Grounded Sage) engage in a casual conversation about factors that stress out our skin outside of topical skincare products.
Factors discussed inhibit balance from the inside out, and while one podcast episode isn't enough time to explore all the factors that can affect a holistic whole-body approach to skincare, Karla and Jamie share how they navigate things that can take a hit on our healing journey.
Some of the things discussed included how the following things affect our skin:
- Moving our body vs exercise - where the two meet, how we're finding ways to move our bodies that don't require iron clad will power or a motivational pep talk
- Sleep - two different takes on how to get enough, how we're navigating changes to sleep, and what's working now (and what's worked in the past)
- Toxic relationships, boundaries, and expectations - why this affects our skin, what we've learned so far, and what hope to continue to move towards within the relationship in our lives.
- How skincare and beauty fads, trends and novelties affect the long term health of our skin
- Seasonal living - what it means to each of us and how we work it into a skin-supporting lifestyle.
June 18, 2019
In this episode, I speak with Whisper Gardiner, the owner of Alternate Routes (in Woodstock, On). Whisper is one of the most compassionate people I know. She's also a personal trainer, registered holistic nutritionist, fascial stretch therapist, a mom, and a huge animal lover.
We discuss the benefits of nutrition + movement + a healthy mindset as well as compassion (how not to burn out, simple ways to be compassionate with ourselves and others) and how all of that benefits our skin and long-term health.
Whisper also explains where to start when it comes to supporting your body for long-term health (which includes the health of our biggest organ - the skin) and WHY (this is eye-opening)! As well as some simple suggestions to get us started.
We also get dorky about animals!
Connect with Whisper via email for any questions you might have, to set up an online/long-distance consultation, guidance with meal plans, personal training, resources you'd like to request, and more! Her email is: email@example.com
Helpful links from this episode:
May 13, 2019
I often get asked what the bare-bones, must-have steps in a balanced, green beauty skin care routine are. Basic routines are my favourite because they are easy to follow and more likely to be executed. When our skin needs extra support, we can quickly ﬁgure out where to make tweaks. In this episode, I’ll share the steps that, if our skin could talk, would tell us it wants to remain balanced, happy, and healthy. I also dive into one add-on you might want to consider for boosting a basic routine.
Topics covered in this episode include:
- The 4 steps in a basic (yet effective) natural skin care routine
- The what and why behind each step
- "Oily yet dry" - why your skin might be feeling this way and what to do about it
- 3 (good) reasons for including a facial mask in your routine
- The 4 things I wish I could have told myself about acne skin care routines when I first started breaking out as a pre-teen (including advice about internal factors - like avoiding a common supplement that made me break out like crazy!)
- Hydration for the skin (why it's important and how to work it into your routine effectively)
- The different reasons for cleansing at night vs in the morning
- The different reasons for moisturizing at night vs in the morning
- The difference between morning and evening routines for the skin
- How sun protection factors in (and why)
- How to calm down the skin down - quickly and easily
- How to support your lipid barrier (and how to know if you need to)
- My favourite hydration-rich ingredients in natural skin care
- How to know if your skin is dehydrated (and what do about it)
- What to do to buffer acne prone skin against sebum oxidation and inflammation
April 23, 2019
In this episode, we speak with Alexandra Mckay from Benevolent Barn about...
- Sensitive skin (she's an orchid - find out if you are too here)
- Her skincare routine
- What her skin is like after 2 years of embracing slow skincare
- When and why she changes up her skincare routine
- The connection between yoga and Alex's skin
- Her approach to self-care (and why that's been good for her skin)
- Compassionate living through passion projects
- What the day in the life of a mother, non-profit owner, yoga teacher, employee, wife, and more looks like (and how she manages to juggle it all without going into burn out mode)
- What restorative yoga is (it's probably not what you're thinking it is)
- Her mini farm sanctuary
- How mindful, compassionate living, self-care, and embracing passion projects helps her and her family be more balanced, happy and fulfilled.
Alex's Current Skincare Routine
Skincare Products Mentioned:
March 27, 2019
A big episode where we cover a lot of ground including:
- Where to start when our relationship with our skin might need an infusion of kindness
- How to start "reading" your skin to know what it's trying to communicate with you
- The biggest trend I'm seeing in our Radiant Rebel skincare community right now: weak lipid barriers
- Causes of lipid barrier damage
- Signs of lipid barrier damage (it isn't always dry or sensitive skin)
- One way to check in with your lipid barrier
- Tips for supporting your lipid barrier
Find out more about Grounded Sage at GroundedSage.com
Find Jamie on Instagram @groundedsage
March 20, 2019
The Grounded Sage Podcast is a gentle wellness podcast for earthy, heart-centred individuals who want to contribute to a kinder world. We'll focus on cultivating an uplifting approach to skin care, self-care, and life!
If you feel overwhelmed with all the good you want to do in the world, how to bring balance to your life, and how to bring the compassion you have in heaps and bounds for others to some of your self-care practices, you're in the right place.
The Grounded Sage Podcast is hosted by Jamie Sabot, an autumn soul living in rural Ontario with her partner and their pack of rescue dogs. She's also the founder of Grounded Sage Skincare - a small, artisan skincare company that handcrafts natural, peace of mind skincare.
With a mix of solo shows and guest interviews, this podcast will focus on how to thrive as a sensitive, caring soul without becoming overwhelmed by all the "shoulds" of self-care, skincare, beauty, activism, creativity, and more.